Tuesday, 12 March 2013

Shannon's Visit!

Travel is like love, mostly because it’s a heightened state of awareness, in which we are mindful, receptive, undimmed by familiarity and ready to be transformed. That is why the best trips, like the best love affairs, never really end.” -Pico Iyer

Last week, I had the absolute pleasure of hosting one of my good friends from high school. Shannon arrived Wednesday evening around 6:30pm. I picked her up at the bus station and was so happy to see a familiar face. I had seen Shannon in London but it was so exciting to have her in Galway. We walked back to my apartment and dropped off her bag, then went to dinner at The Cellar, a restaurant/bar with a modern, warm atmosphere. I wanted Shannon to experience some traditional Irish music on her first night so after dinner we met Krissy and Jenni at Taaffes, our favorite location for live music. There was a group of three men that played all of our favorite pub tunes and I was glad that Shannon was able to hear this special part of Irish culture.
Thursday, I had class all afternoon, but Krissy, Shannon, and I walked to Elle's (an adorable coffee shop) for coffee and scones so that we'd be able to plan our Spring Break trip that the three of us are taking in a few weeks. Shannon explored and shopped around the city with Jenni while I was in class, and when I returned from volunteering at the homework club, it was already dinner time. Shannon and I quickly ate and got ready and met up with a large group of our friends for our first pub crawl in Ireland! It was a fun night, but I don't know if I would do another one. I prefer to go out with no schedule. A great part of the pub crawl, however, was that we got to visit a couple of the smaller pubs off of Shop Street that I hadn't been to yet! We ended the night at Karma, a club, and had lots of fun dancing with the girls. 
Friday morning, Shannon, Krissy and I got up early to catch our tour bus to the Cliffs of Moher. I had the pleasure of visiting one of the most beautiful places in the whole world for a second time this month. The Cliffs of Moher captured me just as much, if not more, upon my second visit. Shannon, Krissy and I were able to spend time slowly walking up the winding path over the cliffs, but also, time sitting and just being there, which was an amazing experience. Sitting on the edge of the Cliffs of Moher, I was hit with an array of feelings. I felt calm, sitting and observing creation. All of my worries about finals and travel plans left me and in that moment, nothing seemed to matter but the sound of the waves splashing on the cliffs, the feeling of the soft grass beneath us, and the unique moment the three of us shared, sitting in silence but experiencing the sight together, each of us lost in our own thoughts. I felt the magnitude of how large and magnificent the world is, and how deeply humbling it can feel to be human, staring out onto the huge jagged rocks and the vast ocean before me. I felt God in every part of my being, radiating through the natural beauty surrounding me. I felt a deep, intense love for Ireland, the country that I've chosen to spend my semester in. I thought about how I have no doubt in my mind that I have chosen the right place for myself. At this time in my life, I truly feel like I belong here. Most of all, I felt blessed beyond all measure to be able to witness this magical place. We sat in silence for a while, taking in the view, and at that moment, more than any other I've had so far studying abroad, I felt completely at peace. Friday night, Shannon, Krissy and I made a beautiful dinner (Shannon's idea) of boiled red potatoes with sea salt and thyme, shrimp sauteed in garlic and lemon, good bread, and a fancy salad. Jenni came over after dinner and we watched 500 Days of Summer. It was a perfect day.
Saturday morning, Shannon and I finally got to have a lie-in (sleep in). We woke up, made breakfast, and headed into town to visit the Saturday market. I love the Galway market. It's filled with stands selling all kinds of food, jewelry, antiques, paintings, pottery, and other handmade goods. Anyway, it was an absolutely gorgeous day. It was sunny and warm and we barely needed the light coats we brought with us! What a blessing. We shopped in the market for a while then decided to walk past the pier to the ocean by Salthill. I've only gone as far as the lighthouse, which isn't quite in Salthill, but Shannon and I decided to keep walking all the way into town, and I'm so glad we did! We stumbled upon white sandy beaches, and it was hard to believe that we were still in Galway because the beaches looked so different from the city scene I'd grown accustomed to. Being on the beach made me even more excited for Spring Break. We found a cute little cafe that looked out onto the water and got sandwiches there before walking back to my apartment around 6. When we got back, we relaxed for a bit, made dinner, and Shannon and I decided to go out for Shannon's last night. We went to a few pubs and got a pint at the Front Door, where we made some new friends and enjoyed ourselves. We came back around 12 because Shannon had to catch an early bus the next morning.
It was sad to say goodbye to my friend, but I'm so glad that she was able to visit me and cannot wait to see her in Barcelona for break!


Thanks for reading! 

Maggie


Pub Crawl!
Shannon and I









Cliffs of Moher

We found the beach!
Salthill


No comments:

Post a Comment