Sunday, 13 January 2013

Weekend Fun

Hello, all!

I decided to spend the weekend in Galway instead of traveling because I wanted to see more of this unique and lively city that I now call home. On Thursday, I decided to go out with some of the other girls in the Arcadia program. We went to a small, cozy pub called Hole in the Wall and it is easily one of my favorite pubs that I have been to. It has a homey feel and there was also a dance floor which picked up as the night when on. We made our way across town and went to a tiny restaurant called Charcoal Grill which is apparently a hidden gem for late-night food. I tried the famous "taco fries" - I don't even want to think about how unhealthy they were - and they were SO yummy. Definitely a must-try (but probably not more than once every few weeks, haha.)
The next day, I went into town with a few girls and we went shopping at a some of the stores that we have heard good things about from Irish girls. We also stopped in a cute coffee shop called Elle's which has some of the most extravagant flavored coffees and hot chocolates that I have ever seen. That night, my friend Krissy and I were pretty tired so we decided to go see Les Miserables because neither one of us got a chance to see it in the states. It was incredible. Naturally, we cried the whole time, but I would definitely see it again. I was very impressed with the acting - especially Hugh Jackman and Anne Hathaway. It was interesting to see them stepping out of their usual roles.
During the day on Saturday, Krissy, Mindii and I went back to Elle's and brought some homework to do. We ended up sitting at a little table for 3 hours and I finished reading a play for my Drama and Theater Studies class. It was already dark when we got up to leave (it gets dark around 4:30) and we decided to look around Shop Street a bit. We peeked into a Claddagh ring shop and also looked at Irish wool sweaters. I think both would be great souvenirs but I am trying to wait to make big purchases until the end of my trip. We went out to town with a big group of American students that night and it was very fun - we found a live band at a pub called The King's Head and some of us danced right in front of the stage.
Today we all had a "lie-in" but when we woke up, we got ready and went to our first RUGBY game! It ended up taking place in a beautiful park surrounded by woods and lake that looked like they belonged in a fantasy movie, and there was even a castle in the background. Classic Ireland. We met some of the NUIG players and it was fun to talk to them about their game. I have a feeling that we'll go to plenty of Rugby games. Matches? I should probably figure that out.

That's all for now - cheers!



Kayaks on campus






Cheering on our Rugby team!

1 comment:

  1. Rugby Scrum? Rugby Punt? Don't know either. You'll have to ask Matt. I know the Hole in the Wall pub, and we played the King's Head. Try to sit in the throne along the side wall and see what happens. Did you find the Potato restaurant? May be gone by now. Glad you are enjoying such a great town.

    ReplyDelete