I am so excited to be able to explore a different side of the city and to make connections with Irish students and families through this program. I feel grateful that I have been given this opportunity - I was hoping that I would get a chance to volunteer over here and work with children in some way and can't think of a better way to do so!
Today was also our Clubs and Societies Day, so between classes we walked to Áras na Mac Léinn and perused through the stands. It actually reminded me a lot of the Gustavus involvement fair. Naturally, I signed up for way too many organizations (partly because they were all giving out candy) but it's a really relaxed system here - you can literally just go to one or two events or meetings and it doesn't seem like you really have to commit. The societies that stood out to me most were mountaineering, kayaking, traditional Irish music club, possibly choir, an environmental club, and a Christian organization. I also signed up to walk dogs and take care of other animals at a humane society!
Tonight is a popular night at the College Bar so I think we're going to head over there after dinner to meet more people and have some craic!
Also, my email address here is M.JONES2@nuigalway.ie and I've been checking it religiously so feel free to contact me there :)
No comments:
Post a Comment